I have a sick obsession with cannolis. Take me into any city, and my mission will be to find these tasty Italian treats. If I’m in Boston, I have to go to Mike’s Pastries. Working in the Bronx in New York City often led me to Artuso Pastry Shop with their delicious chocolate covered cannolis. Basically, if it’s there, I have to have it.
I originally found this recipe from Snappy Gourmet and I adapted it from there. Her original recipe seems yummy, but I just adjusted it to my tastes. Enjoy!
- 1 cup softened, unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 10 oz bag of mini chocolate chips, plus extra for drizzle
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together butter and sugar with an electric mixer until well blended.
- Add in eggs. Once blended, add in ricotta cheese.
- After, mix in vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- Slowly add flour while the mixer is still going. Once mixed, stir in mini chocolate chips with spoon.
- Use spoon or ice cream scoop to create cookie dough balls. Place on cookie sheet that is lightly greased or has tin foil on it.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (8 was plenty for my cookies)
- Once all cookies are baked and placed onto cooling racks, microwave about a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and a teaspoon full of shortening in a sandwich plastic bag for 30 second intervals until all the chocolate melts.
- Cut a hole in the corner of the plastic bag and drizzle onto all of the cookies.
- Let cool off and enjoy!
These cookies do have a more cakey than cookie texture, but I think the uniqueness makes them delicious! An easy and yummy cookie for your holidays.